While no one wants to have a bad driving record, it can happen to anyone, and it can make it tough to find affordable auto insurance. Fortunately, there are ways to make the experience easier for any driver in Florida.
If your driving record took a hit recently, several auto insurance tips could help you find the most affordable insurance premiums. There are also ways you can find the right quote for you and your family – without sacrificing coverage options.
What You Need to Know About Auto Insurance in Florida
Every vehicle that is registered in Florida has to have a no-fault auto insurance policy. This policy is designed to offer basic coverage and financial protection. A no-fault auto insurance policy has two coverage types:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Regardless of who is at fault in an accident, PIP coverage will pay for up to 80% of “all necessary and reasonable” medical expenses for you and any passengers in your vehicle. You need to have at least $10,000 in PIP coverage.
- Property damage liability (PDL): If you cause an accident, PDL coverage will pay for any damages you, or an authorized driver of your car, cause to another person’s property. This does not cover damage to your vehicle. You need to carry at least $10,000 in PDL coverage.
While these are just the minimums for driving in Florida, if your vehicle is financed, you may have to carry a full coverage insurance policy. A full-coverage policy may include coverage types like:
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
You’ll also have the option of choosing additional services like roadside assistance or rental car coverage. All of these options are available to you regardless of your driving history – the only thing that might change is the cost of your coverage options.
3 Auto Insurance Tips for Floridians with Bad Driving Records
A bad driving record can make it frustrating to purchase auto insurance. It can increase the cost of your premiums and limit what companies you work with. There are, however, several auto insurance tips that can make the process a little bit easier.
1. Get multiple auto insurance quotes.
The best way to find the right auto insurance policy is to compare multiple quotes. Reviewing auto insurance quotes from different companies will give you insight into how much premiums cost and which companies offer the best value. Compare these key components of your quotes:
- Claims process and policies
- Coverage types and limits
If you have multiple vehicles or drivers, include them on every quote so you can see how the cost of each coverage type is impacted.
2. Set a budget for your premiums and deductibles.
A bad driving record typically results in higher premiums, but there are ways to reduce those premiums. One way is to increase your deductible. A higher deductible will generally result in a lower policy premium, which can make monthly payments easier on your budget.
If you do choose a higher deductible for your full coverage policy, it’s a good idea to budget for that in case you are in an accident. You’ll need to pay your deductible before your insurance company covers damages to your vehicle.
Another thing to consider is whether your vehicle is financed or not. Some financing companies have a maximum deductible amount.
3. Take advantage of auto insurance discounts.
Though having a bad driving record can impact your premiums, there are still ways you can save money on your auto insurance policy. Auto insurance discounts are one of the most effective ways to reduce insurance premiums, even for drivers with a bad record.
The most lucrative auto insurance discounts include:
- Defensive driving discounts
- Good student discounts
- Multipolicy discounts
- Multivehicle discounts
- Safety features discounts
If you’re working on improving your driving habits, you may qualify for other discounts like safe driving discounts and vanishing deductibles.
Auto Insurance Tips for Finding the Right Quote
Even with an excellent driving record, finding the right auto insurance quote can be a difficult process. Every insurance company has a different method, and the quotes can be confusing. Finding the right quote doesn’t have to be hard, though.
Use these auto insurance tips to help find the right quote for your needs:
- Determine the value of your vehicle: When choosing a full coverage policy that includes collision and/or comprehensive coverage, you want to know the value of your vehicle. This will help you choose the right coverage limits, so you don’t overpay for coverage.
- Choose companies with the right features: While every auto insurance company offers the same coverage types, additional features vary. If you know you need a towing package, get quotes from companies that offer that feature.
- Check your personal credit score: Some insurance companies use your credit score to determine how much your premiums will cost. You can check your own score to see how improving it might reduce your insurance premiums.
Finding the right auto insurance quote takes time, but if you have a bad driving record, it’s worth the effort to compare as many quotes as possible.
Auto Insurance Tips for Finding the Right Insurance Agent or Broker
You can put a lot of work into finding multiple quotes, but that takes more time than most people have (or want) to spend. If you want to save time and get the best auto insurance quote, consider working with an insurance agent or broker.
An insurance agent or broker will be able to get you multiple auto insurance quotes, review them in detail with you, and help you choose the one that is right for you and your family. They also know how to get the most out of discounts and additional features. Need help finding auto insurance with a bad driving record? Contact Fiorella Insurance Agency today to review your options.