Are you looking for auto insurance in Florida but don’t know exactly what you need?
Do you have questions about auto insurance but aren’t quite sure where to start?
Have you been trying to figure out how much auto insurance you need in Florida?
Buying car insurance is something most people have to do at some point in their life. Whether you’re a new driver or just getting your own insurance policy, you’re bound to have questions.
But not all insurance companies are the same, and some of them don’t necessarily have your best interests in mind.
Keep reading to find out what you need to know about auto insurance companies in Florida, plus answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about insurance.
What You Need to Know About Auto Insurance Companies in Florida
The first thing you need to know is that every vehicle that is registered in the state of Florida must have a valid no-fault auto insurance policy at the very least.
The minimum auto insurance coverage limits you need to have in Florida are:
- Personal injury protection: To ensure that medical payouts are made quickly, Florida requires every driver to have at least \$10,000 in personal injury protection coverage. This will cover a part of the medical costs in a serious accident.
- Property damage liability: To reduce the number of time-intensive lawsuits, Florida requires every driver to have at least \$10,000 in property damage liability coverage. This will pay for damages to another person’s property in an accident.
Keep in mind that these are just the minimum limits and that you will be responsible for any costs that exceed what your insurance coverage limits are. Higher coverage limits protect your financial assets.
You may also have higher coverage limit requirements if your vehicle is financed or leased. Some companies will require a full-coverage policy with specific deductible limits.
3 Questions to Ask Auto Insurance Companies in Florida
Before you start researching and getting quotes on auto insurance policies, take time to read through these questions to make sure you understand what you need.
1. How Much Will My Auto Insurance Cost?
The first question most people have is about how much their auto insurance costs. Auto insurance quotes are based on a few different factors: coverage limits and maximums, deductibles, and what is and isn’t covered.
The best auto insurance companies in Florida will break down your quote so you know exactly what you’re paying for with each coverage item. This breakdown will show you how much you’re paying for each service, plus show you any discounts you’ve qualified for.
2. What Happens if I Lose My Auto Insurance?
Auto insurance is a requirement in the state of Florida. Anyone who has a registered vehicle must have insurance, and anyone who does not is subject to various fines and penalties. You could lose your driving privilege for up to three years.
You may also be subject to losing your license plates, and you may be subject to a fine of up to \$500 for reinstating your license if it’s suspended. Florida does not offer any hardship or temporary driver’s license to people who have an insurance-related driving suspension.
3. What Does Auto Insurance Cover?
This will depend on the auto insurance policy you select. The minimum coverage limits in your state will provide adequate coverage for most minor accidents, but you will need to read your policy details very closely to know how much coverage you have.
Florida’s no-fault auto insurance laws ensure that basic medical expenses and property damage are paid for, but if you want coverage that extends beyond that, you’ll need to look into a comprehensive auto insurance policy.
Things to Avoid with Auto Insurance Companies in Florida
While most auto insurance companies in Florida are on the up-and-up, you may still run across an insurance company that makes you question whether you’d like to work with them.
Here are some things you can do to avoid scams in the auto insurance world:
- Try to stick with national auto insurance companies that have excellent records.
- Read customer reviews and testimonials about auto insurance companies before you commit to them.
- Work with auto insurance companies that have high insurance ratings.
By sticking with well-known insurance companies that have great customer service and policy payouts, you can avoid falling victim to common insurance scams like unpaid claims and rates that are too low to be true.
How to Choose the Best Auto Insurance Companies in Florida
You don’t have to know a lot about auto insurance to be able to choose the right policy coverage limits. You just need to know how to go through the auto insurance process so you can come out on top with an affordable policy.
Choosing the best auto insurance company in Florida comes down to this:
- Decide how much coverage you need: While the minimum required insurance is enough for some people, that may not be the case for everyone. People with more expensive cars may want higher policy limits in case they are in an accident.
- Compare multiple insurance quotes: Get several quotes of the same coverage limits so you can easily compare them side to side. You want to see how much you’re paying for each type of coverage plus any discounts you’re getting.
- Choose a policy that fits your financial situation: You need to think about your budget, but you also need to think about how you would be able to afford to pay for damages to your own vehicle or medical expenses beyond your coverage limits.
Using these three tips, you will be able to choose the best auto insurance company in Florida. Just make sure that you spend some time figuring out what your financial situation is so don’t put yourself in a bad spot after a serious accident.
Need help trying to understand auto insurance in Florida? Contact Fiorella Insurance Agency to get all of your auto insurance questions answered.