Are you a stay-at-home mom looking for comprehensive healthcare for you and your children and need to know how to buy without a job?
Whether you have part-time income or stay at home full-time as a mother, finding affordable health insurance is easier with the health insurance marketplace.
Depending on your income and household size, there are several options available for mothers and their children.
Comprehensive Healthcare Guide for Moms: An Overview of the Health Insurance Marketplace
The Affordable Care Act provides a platform for most Americans to obtain health insurance at an affordable cost – that includes stay-at-home moms and their children.
The first thing you need to know about getting health insurance through the marketplace is that there are three periods during which you can apply:
- Open Enrollment Period: If you want coverage that begins on January 1, 2021, you need to apply during the open enrollment period, which runs from November 1, 2020, to December 15, 2020.
- Special Enrollment Period: For individuals and families that have recently lost their health insurance coverage due to a life change, a special enrollment period is available to obtain coverage. This varies based on your individual situation.
- Medicaid/CHIP Coverage: Families that qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage are eligible to apply for health insurance at any time.
Regardless of which route you choose, you can apply for coverage through the health insurance marketplace portal.
You’ll need some basic information to apply for health insurance coverage through the marketplace, including:
- Household size, including yourself and each of your dependents
- Source of income
- Employer information
- Gross Income
- Information from any professional helping you file
In addition to this information, you’ll also need to answer a few personal questions about yourself and each of your dependents, including:
- Citizenship/Immigration status
- Social Security Numbers
- Information on how you’ll be filing your taxes
Comprehensive Healthcare Guide for Moms: How to Buy Without a Job
Finding comprehensive healthcare coverage for your family can feel overwhelming, especially when you need to know how to buy without a job. Here are the top ways you can get health insurance as a stay-at-home mom.
1. Marketplace Health Insurance Plans
The health insurance marketplace offers a variety of insurance plans across a range of price points. Depending on how much income you have, you may be eligible for premium tax credits that save you money each month on your health insurance premiums.
Income limits for premium tax credits vary depending on your household size:
- Individuals: Health insurance plans for a single mom may qualify for premium tax credits if you earn between $12,760 and $51,040 during the 2020 year.
- Family of three: A family of three may qualify for premium tax credits if their household income is between $21,720 and $86,880.
- Larger families: Larger families are able to qualify for premium tax credits, as well. The income limits will be higher, depending on the size of your family.
If your family has some source of income, this may be the best route for you. You can find out quickly if you qualify for premium tax credits, plus compare plans online before choosing the right one.
2. Medicaid or CHIP Coverage
Another option for stay-at-home moms who don’t have a lot of income is to apply for Medicaid or CHIP coverage. You can find out if you qualify for this by applying through the health insurance marketplace portal.
If your state expanded Medicaid coverage, you may qualify depending on your household size and income:
- Individuals: If you earned $17,236 in 2019 or less each year as a single mom, you may qualify for Medicaid coverage if you live in a state that expanded Medicaid eligibility.
- Family of three: A family of three may qualify for Medicaid coverage if the household income was $29,435 in 2019 or less per year.
- Larger families: For families that are bigger, Medicaid coverage allows for higher income limits depending on your household size.
- Due to Covid-19, we recommend contacting your insurance provider for this year’s Medicaid or CHIP enrollment details.
CHIP coverage is available to families that have children and earn an incomed of about $42,000 per year in 2019 for a family of three. Larger families have higher income limits. Medicaid or CHIP coverage is one of the best ways to get health insurance for children of stay-at-home moms. Due to Covid-19, we recommend contacting your insurance provider for this year’s Medicaid or CHIP enrollment details.
Comprehensive Healthcare Guide for Moms: Tips on How to Buy Without a Job
As a mom, you have enough to deal with. Finding comprehensive healthcare that doesn’t cost a fortune shouldn’t be one of them. Thankfully, there are ways you can get affordable health insurance for you and your children.
Before you fill out your health insurance marketplace application, read through these tips on how to buy without a job. It’ll help make the process a little smoother.
- Gather income information ahead of time. You’ll need to provide this in your application regardless of whether you are looking to buy a family insurance plan or qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage.
- Put together a health summary for the year. Knowing how often you plan to visit the doctor can help you choose the health insurance plan that will be most cost-effective for you and your family.
- Apply during open enrollment. Just in case you don’t qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage, make sure you apply during open enrollment for coverage to begin January 1, 2021.
You’ll also want to spend some time comparing plans if you are choosing a family health insurance plan. Comparisons are important to help save you money on healthcare expenses.
Talk to an Insurance Broker or Agent About How to Buy Without a Job
Choosing the right health insurance for your family can be overwhelming, but there is help. An insurance agent or broker can help you complete your application and choose a plan.
An insurance agent or broker can also point you in the right direction for applying to your state’s Medicaid or CHIP program.
Need help choosing health insurance for your family? Contact Fiorella Insurance Agency today to find the most comprehensive healthcare for you and your children.